Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Unable to renew IP address. - [FIXED]

Unable to renew IP address. - [FIXED]

I am unable to renew my IP address.

I am using a wireless router...my laptop with the wireless card works, however, my computer that is hard wired to the router does not work.

I re-installed XP and since then it has not worked...but I have downloaded and re-installed all the proper drivers.

I have gone to the command prompt and tried releasing and renew the address and it will not work. I have also tried unplugging the router and modem and hooking it all up agian and this did not work. I also tried hard wiring the computer directly to the modem and this did not work.

Any suggestions.

Thank you.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    do you have dhcp enabled on the router? do you have a static ip setup up on your pc?

Titanium Member
    in services do you have DNS service enabled? What error message do you receive? I have the service disable because I have my individual apps do the look up. However, if I want to renew my ip I have to remember to turn DNS back on or I see this

Last edited by lynchknot; March 17th, 2005 at 04:12 AM.

in reply to lynchknot and phishhead

I am not sure if I have DNS service enabled. I am not really savvy when it comes to this...the only reason I knew about the other ways to try and fix my problem was because my friends tried to help or I looked online...could you tell me how I would know if my DNS service was enabled??? Thanks so much- Andrea

One more thing...

In reply to Phishhead about the static ip...my one friend tried creating a static ip...but this did not work either...
    In reply to to Lynchknot, the error message I'm getting when I hit "repair" is "Unable to renew IP address" .... Once again, thanks so much for trying to help me out-this is so frustrating!

Titanium Member
    You can go this route - then to DNS client

Or go the long way: Control panel/admin.tools/services/DNS client. if it's disabled=right click/properties - then start it.

But really It should not be off unless you or someone turned it off. It is on by default.
    Last edited by lynchknot; March 17th, 2005 at 08:03 AM.

DNS Client- Started

Yep, as you predicted, DNS client is enabled...actually everything in the list under services says "started" next to it. Any other ideas????? Thanks!

Titanium Member
    power cycle. unplug your modem power and the router power for 10 minute or so. Plug modem power back until all usual lights light up then plug power back into router.

No Luck :(

Hey, I unplugged modem and router like you said. I had it unplugged all day, then I plugged it back in...still doesn't work Help!!! Thanks!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Check the settings on your Wireless router...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Titanium Member
    or bypass your router to see if you pick up an IP - then you know it's your router....maybe.

I just spent about 2 hours on the phone with a tech from Comcast. He had me unplug the modem and router, and then plug the modem right into the back of my computer through the ethernet port.
    He went through basically everything with me, checking to make sure I had all my settings correct. Where the ethernet is plugged in, it is lit up (orange) and it blinks. Under Local Area Connections, it is enabled. The status says it is connected and working properly. But once again, when I click repair, I still keep getting error "Unable to renew IP address."
    The tech told me that he's seen this problem a million times, but the Local Area Connection is usually disabled, unplugged, limited, something like that...but never enabled. He didn't know what else to tell me because he went through everything he knew to go through.
    Another thing, I know it is not the ethernet cable or the card because the USB port doesn't work either- I get the same error message.
    And I know it is not my modem, cause obviously, I can get online with my laptop.
    I don't know what to do!!!! Thank you so much Steve (right?) for trying to help me? Any more ideas??? Haha

Titanium Member
    from left field - Are you using a software firewall? Chck to see if your lan setting are correct. chk your router setting as cash suggested as well.
    Last edited by lynchknot; March 18th, 2005 at 04:47 AM.

Hi again

Yes, I'm using Symantec...however, I disabled auto-protect. The Comcast tech had me check the LAN settings...how do I check my router settings, is it the routerlogin.com thing?...what should I be looking for (I don't think this is the problem as my computer won't connect even directly to the modem)...thanks so much for being so patient. I'm just getting really pissed off! I've been up all night for the past week trying to fix this! Thanks again!
    Btw...I tried contacting you through AIM but you're not on, atleast I can't see you...it might be easier to talk through that
    -Andrea

Titanium Member
    I rarely fire up my IM. Sometimes I have to recreate rules for my browser with software firewall (delete entry for browser then let it prompt me again) when I mess around with my connection - or I can't connect at all.
    To inspect my router settings, for my router, I type 192.168.0.1 into the url field and router settings pop up. Find your router's IP. What happens at CMD prompt when your type ipconfig /all - should give you your router IP from there you can enter into url field. I would check your software setttings first though